'.PHP_EOL; // echo '
'.PHP_EOL; // echo ''.PHP_EOL.PHP_EOL; echo '
'.PHP_EOL; echo '
'.PHP_EOL.PHP_EOL; unset($dialog_type, $dialog_title, $dialog_message); } ?>
Cape Fear River Basin
Drainage Area (mi2): 9,164
Population (2010): 2,072,304
River Miles: 21,300
Water Acreage: 68,884
03003002 - Haw River
03003003 - Deep River
03003004 - Upper Cape Fear
03003005 - Lower Cape Fear
03003006 - Black River
03003007 - Northeast Cape Fear
The Cape Fear River basin drains the middle portion of North Carolina and includes portions of 26 counties and 115 municipalities. It is also one of four river basins completely within North Carolina. River basins are divided up into Subbasins (8-Digit Hydrologic Units). The Cape Fear River basin contains 6 Subbasins. Maps of each subbasin are included in each subbasin chapter. The basin is composed of five major drainages: Haw River, Deep River, Northeast Cape Fear River, Black River and the Cape Fear River.
Water Supply Planning
Data & Modeling
Permitting & Registration
- The 2005 Cape Fear River Basinwide Water Quality Plan can be found at this link. This plan is currently being updated.
- Use Restoration Watersheds:
Statewide Water Quality Assessment - 305(b) & 303(d) Integrated Report (IR)
- TMDL Reports
- Water Sciences Section Reports
- Rocky River Reports
- Alderman Ricky River Subbasin Aquatic Taxa Surveys 2010
- Rocky River Groundwater Assessment (DWQ-APS, September 2012)
- Subscribe to the Rocky River List Serve:
Click here to subscribe to the Basin Planning Branch's Rocky River Watershed e-mail list serve. E-mails through this list serve will provide watershed specific information, including Rocky River Management Team meeting information and notifications, research materials, as well other general watershed notifications.
- Horsepen Creek Assessment Report: Biological Impairment in the Horsepen Creek Watershed, March 2003.
- Little Creek Assessment Report: Biological Impairment in the Little Creek Watershed, June 2003.
- Little Troublesome Creek Assessment Report: Biological Impairment in the Little Troublesome Creek Watershed, November 2002.
- Ambient Water Quality Monitoring Interactive Map
- Benthic Microinvertebrate Water Quality Monitoring Interactive Map
- Fish Community Water Quality Monitoring Interactive Map
- DWR Permits Interactive Map
- Statewide Water Quality Assessment - 305(b) & 303(d) Integrated Report(IR) Map
- Water Supply Watersheds & Public Water Supply Map
- NC Surface Water Classifications
- Find Your HUC
- Groundwater Monitoring Well Network Map
- Stormwater Program Map
- Drought Map
- Source Water Assessment Program (NC SWAP Info)
- Aquifer Characteristics
- Central Coastal Plain Capacity Use Area
Previous Basinwide Water Quality Plans
Other Water Programs / Links
Education & Technical Assistance
Subscribe to DWR's Cape Fear River Basin E-mail List
Click Here to subscribe to DWR's Cape Fear River Basin e-mail list to receive e-mails regarding public comment periods and public meetings related to the Cape Fear River Basin Water Resources Plan development. Public participation in the development of these plans is encouraged.