Public Records


How do I review and obtain copies of public records?

Public records of the N.C. Department of Environmental Quality, including the Division of Water Resources, are available for review and there are several procedures that will help you with your research.

Each agency within the department maintains its own files. At this time, there is no central file room or website where you can conduct your research for the entire department.

DWR's central file room is located in the basement of the Archdale Building, 512 N. Salisbury St., Raleigh, NC 27604. This file room holds files for the Water Quality Permitting section, the Water Quality Regional Operations section. Included in these files are permitting, compliance and correspondence records for wastewater treament systems (domestic, industrial, animal); sewage collection systems; land application of treated wastewater, animal waste and residuals. Files are also available concerning wetlands and stream impacts and issues relating to water planning.

The files are available for review and copying during regular business hours - Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Central Files Access

Until further notice, requests for files by those working in or visiting the Archdale Building will be handled as follows:

Water Quality Regional Operations and Groundwater Protection records contact - Jon Risgaard at 919-807-6458, or by email at

Water Quality Permitting records contact- - Diane Rodman at 919-807-6306. Diane is located in the Basement of the Archdale Building. You may also send an email to for non-urgent requests.

For other information requests, please contact Bridget Munger at 919-807-6363, or by email at

Files pertaining to a specific region (see regional map) may be available at our regional offices. We ask that you schedule an appointment to review files at these locations so that we may serve you better.

If it is not convenient for you to come to the file room yourself, you may want to have an associate assist you with the request, or you may contact a temporary employment agency to handle your request. For a listing of "Employment Agencies-Temporary" refer to the "Yellow Page" listings at either of the following websites: or