Solid Waste Section
Disaster Debris Management Assistance
Please contact your regional Environmental Senior Specialist to inquire about training and assistance with Temporary Disaster Debris Site Management.
Large Type III compost facility in Chatham County
Circuit boards removed from computers
The Solid Waste Section directs the removal on average of approximately 250,000 cubic yards of waste from illegal dumps each year. We need your help in stopping illegal dumping. If you see ‘em dumping, report ‘em!
Municipal Solid Waste
Trash at a landfill.
Health & Environmental Risks associated with illegal dumping include: Physical & chemical hazards; Breeding diseases and/or vectors that carry diseases; Contaminates ground and surface water supplies; Decreases property values; etc.
Monitors being shipped out for recycling.
217 W Jones Street
Raleigh, NC 27603
1646 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1646
The Solid Waste Program regulates safe management of solid waste through guidance, technical assistance, regulations, permitting, environmental monitoring, compliance evaluation and enforcement. Waste types handled at these facilities include municipal solid waste, industrial waste, construction and demolition waste, land-clearing waste, scrap tires, medical waste, compost and septage.
The Solid Waste Section does not have the statutory authority to issue permits for the installation of domestic septic systems (e.g. septic tanks and /or nitrification field lines). That authority lies with and is the responsibility of your local government (i.e. county or other municipal government). Please contact your local health department for further information specific to your location.
The Solid Waste Section is proud to announce that we are now able to accept Credit Cards for payments. Please visit our ePayment page to see all the options available now.
- Rules Review Kickoff Meeting (Jan. 20, 2017 at 1pm)
- 14-Day Groundwater Protection Standard Exceedance Notification Form and Guidance
- Updated Guidelines for Environmental Monitoring Report Submittal
- Process for Recycling Post Consumer Recycled Asphalt Shingles (PRAS)...(more info)
- Electronics Landfill Ban Started July 1, 2011
North Carolina residents can locate how to recycle televisions and computer equipment in your community.
- Leachate and Statistical Analysis Rules Effective Now
- Safe Kids NC sponsors Operation Medicine Dropas a way to dispose of pharmaceutical waste, especially narcotics and other dangerous drugs.
- 67-09 Onslow County Landfill:
- Proposed Regional Landfill in Randolph County: