Tarboro's Keihin Carolina System Technology recognized for outstanding environmental efforts

Raleigh
RALEIGH – The N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources this week recognized the Keihin Carolina System Technology, LLC plant in Tarboro as a 2013 Environmental Steward.The award recognizes Keihin Carolina System Technology’s superior environmental performance, commitment to continue reducing its environmental impact and demonstrated commitment to exceed compliance. The facility joins only 19 other facilities in the state that have achieved this recognition.“Companies like Keihin Carolina System Technology show that economic success and environmental stewardship can go hand-in-hand,” said John Skvarla, secretary of the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources. “The demonstrated solid waste reduction, energy reduction, and community involvement show this plant’s commitment to continue to balance the needs of the environment with the demands of business.”The state’s Environmental Stewardship Initiative started in 2002 as a way to encourage superior environmental performance. An Environmental Steward must demonstrate leadership through its commitment to exemplary environmental performance beyond what is required by regulation. Stewards also must report their environmental performance each year. An external advisory board appointed by the DENR secretary provides program direction and implementation, and recommended the recognition for the Keihin Carolina System Technology, LLC plant in Tarboro. The advisory board includes people from industry, industry trade groups, environmental and citizen nongovernmental organizations, government, academia and small businesses.The advisory board made its recommendation, based on the plant’s:•   Declaring Zero Waste to Landfill with a 97 percent plant-wide diversion rate. The remaining 3 percent is from the cafeteria, and the plant continues to work on reducing this waste stream;•   Reducing energy use by 65 percent since 2010 on a kilowatt hour-per-unit basis;  •   Community activity, including strong partnerships with the local high school and community college. The company also provides e-waste recycling drop off opportunities for the local community; and•   The company’s leadership, including hosting Honda and other Honda suppliers for an environmental symposium on greenhouse gas reduction.“We are honored to be recognized as an Environmental Steward, alongside some of the most premier organizations in North Carolina,” said David Catt, plant manager of Keihin Carolina System Technology. “We are committed to making a difference for our associates and the community, but also in our supply chain and for other manufacturers in the state.”The ESI program has two additional levels of participation and recognition: Environmental Partner and Rising Environmental Steward. The Environmental Partner level is designed for adoption by a broad range of organizations interested in beginning the process of reducing their environmental impact. The Environmental Rising Steward level is recommended to organizations with a mature Environmental Management System and site-specific measurable environmental performance goals.For more information, visit the Environmental Stewardship Initiative website at http://www.ncesi.org or contact Angela Barger with the N.C. Division of Environmental Assistance and Customer Service at 919-707-8126.

This press release is related to: