|The NC Division of Air Quality (DAQ) pollen sampler is located at the Laboratory Analysis Branch headquarters on Reedy Creek Road. It is the only pollen sampler in the state currently being operated by the NC Division of Air Quality.
|Sampler Address:||Sampler Coordinates:|
|4403 Reedy Creek Road||Latitude: 35.813311|
|Raleigh, NC 27607||Longitude: -78.714373|
Other pollen data collected by other organizations throughout North Carolina may be found at:
● Buncombe County (Asheville) [available from the National Allergy Bureau network ]
● Forsyth County (Winston-Salem)
● National Allergy Bureau's network (nationwide listing)
The DAQ pollen sampler is operated annually from late-February through mid- November. The exact season start and end dates fluctuate yearly. Samples are collected Monday through Friday, except on state holidays, and represent the pollen count for the previous 24 hours. Each sample is collected for 24 hours, from 9 am to 9 am of the following day. The sampler collects pollen for 1 minute of every 10 minutes. DAQ laboratory technicians analyze the collected pollen under a microscope and publish a daily report detailing the number of pollen grains counted. The detailed pollen counting procedure with pictures can be found here.
Pollen reports are published daily on the DAQ pollen website. In addition to the daily pollen report, the website contains other useful pollen information such as trend graphs and historical data. Click the subscribe link in the Additional Pollen Information section if you would like to have the daily pollen report automatically emailed to you.
Understanding the Pollen Report
- Pollen Type: Individual pollen grains can be divided into three different types: grasses, trees, and weeds.
- Number of Grains: This number represents the pollen grains counted on the pollen rod for each pollen type.
- Severity: DAQ classifies pollen counts as "low", "moderate", "high" or "very high".
- Pollen Count: The number of grains of pollen in a cubic meter of air.
- Total Pollen Count: The sum of the individual pollen counts for grasses, trees, and weeds.
Additional Pollen Information
● Current Pollen Report
● Pollen Trend Report
● Subscribe to the Daily Pollen Report - Please include contact information in the body of the message (your first and last names are required)
● Contact Us about Pollen Specific Questions