Types of Permits

Types of CAMA Permits

Currently, there are three types of development permits: major permits, general permits and minor permits. Some development may be authorized by exemption certificate. Single-family homes require minor permits.

The Division of Coastal Management makes permit decisions after considering agency and public comments, and after determining whether a proposed project meets CRC rules and the local government's land-use plan.

The CAMA permit system is divided into major and minor permits, based on the size and possible impacts of a project.

Major permits are necessary for activities that require other state or federal permits, for projects that cover more than 20 acres or for construction covering more than 60,000 square feet. Applications for major permits are reviewed by 10 state and four federal agencies before a decision is made. Applications for major permits. If a major permit is required, please complete the DWR Pre-filing request form and include with your CAMA Major permit application.

General permits are used for routine projects that usually pose little or no threat to the environment. General permits are issued on-site by DCM staff

Minor permits are required for projects, such as single-family houses, that don't require major permits or general permits. They are reviewed, issued and administered to CRC standards by local governments under contract with the Division of Coastal Management. The minor permit program is part of the CRC's efforts to minimize the burden on permit applicants. Under CAMA regulations, a minor permit is to be issued within 25 days once a complete application is in hand. If the project is simple, the review process often is shorter. Applications and instructions for minor permits.