Living with your Conservation Easement

Conservation easements are legal agreements designed to ensure the long-term viability and protection of the natural resources within the easement boundary. Activities in, or use of, the easement area that is inconsistent with the stated purposes of the conservation easement are prohibited. See more information on conservation easements.

What can I do in my Conservation Easement?

Although conservation easements prohibit development, farming, timbering and mining activities they do allow passive and low-impact recreation activities. Often referred to as the landowner's "Reserved Rights" or "Reserved Uses" these activities can include hunting, fishing, and educational uses. Landowners should refer to the text in the recorded conservation easement for the specific rights reserved on your property.

Where is the Conservation Easement boundary on my property?

If you have an upcoming project or activity on your property and need to locate the conservation easement boundary please contact us a 919-707-8536 for assistance. Landowners can also visit our Conservation Properties page for conservation easement data that can be downloaded to your computer or smartphone.

Easement Violations

Whether by accident or intentional, easement violations can and do happen. Minor violations include activities or uses that violate the conditions of the easement but are expected to cause no substantial negative impact. Minor violations are typically resolved by the easement holder and rarely involve litigation. Major violations include activities or uses that violate the conditions of the easement and are expected to cause a substantial negative impact to the conservation easement. Major violations are resolved by legal consultation or action by state Attorney General’s office or other legal counsel. Regardless of scale, all violations are taken seriously and corrective actions are taken by the program to resolve the violation. For more information, see Corrective Actions for Conservation Easement Violations.