The North Carolina Division of Waste Management administers a comprehensive program to manage scrap tires. This program prevents illegal dumping of tires by providing an infrastructure to safely collect, store, and recycle scrap tires. An advance disposal fee is charged when new tires are sold. The proceeds are distributed to each county to pay for collection and recycling of tires. Counties do not charge disposal fees for tires generated in North Carolina. Each load of more than five tires must be accompanied by a completed scrap tire certification form.
For more information contact: Bill Patrakis at 919-707-8290 or firstname.lastname@example.org
TIRE HAULERS - PLEASE NOTE- Tire Hauler Certificates are valid for five years from the date of issuance. Tire haulers will be automatically renewed for the first four years.
- Scrap Tire Fact Sheet
- Environmental Problems Associated with Waste Tires
- Example of a Tire Fire
- Scrap Tires Tax Distribution
- Scrap Tire Sales and Use Taxes for Businesses
- Guidance Regarding Tax Forms (E-500G or E-500H)
- Article about Paying for Disposal of Special Wastes
- County Reports of Tonnages, Costs, Revenues for FY12-13
- Scrap Tire Hauler Registration Policy
- Registered Scrap Tire Haulers