Public Records


How do I review and obtain copies of public records?

Public records from the N.C. Department of Environmental Quality, including the Division of Water Resources, are available for review. There are several procedures that will help you with your research.

Each agency within the department maintains its own files. At this time, there is no central file room or website where you can conduct your research for the entire department.

DWR's Central File Office is located in room B-24 of the Archdale Building, 512 N. Salisbury Street, Raleigh, N.C., 27604. The office maintains files for the Water Quality Permitting and Water Quality Regional Operations programs. This includes files related to permitting, compliance and correspondence records for wastewater treatment systems (domestic, industrial, animal); sewage collection systems; and, land application of treated wastewater, animal waste and residuals. Files are also available concerning wetlands and stream impacts and issues relating to water planning.

The files are available for review and copying Monday through Friday; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Central Files Access Contacts

Files may also be available for review in one of the agency's regional offices. Please make an appointment to review files by contacting the regional office closest to the facility whose records you wish to review.

Regional Office Map and Contacts

If it is not convenient for you to come to Central File or a regional office yourself, you may want to have an associate assist you with the request, or you may contact a temporary employment agency to handle your request. For a listing of "Employment Agencies-Temporary" refer to the "Yellow Page" listings at either of the following websites: or