Donate to Hurricane Recovery

Abandoned Manufactured Homes

The Division of Environmental Assistance and Customer Service (DEACS) administers the Abandoned Manufactured Homes (AMH) Grant Program through the Solid Waste Management Outreach Program. The purpose of this grant program is to assist counties with implementing abandoned manufactured home clean-up programs. All state statutes relevant to the management of AMHs can be found at AMH Statutes.

Only North Carolina counties are eligible for funding through the AMH Grant Program. The amount of funds a county is eligible for is based on the county's tier designation as determined by the N.C. Department of Commerce. Grant funding may be used to offset the cost to counties for the removal, recycling and disposal of abandoned manufactured homes. Counties who have never participated in the AMH Grant Program may also apply for a one-time planning grant. 

FY 2019-20 Abandoned Manufactured Home Grant Round - OPEN

This year the program has transitioned to a competitive grant application cycle with an application deadline. Applications for the AMH Grant Program are now being accepted. Application materials are included in the request for proposals link below.

Proposals are due by 5 p.m. on Tues., Dec. 3, 2019.

Abandoned Manufactured Home (AMH) Grant Request for Proposals (PDF) (Word)

The new RFP specifies, for the first time, an AMH Award Criteria for proposed projects. The criteria will be used by DEACS staff to determine which grant applicants will receive funding. Funding for each grant award will be determined by the score of each application. The number of projects funded depends on the number of applications received, the amount of total funding available for AMH grants, and the score that each application receives upon review. DEACS estimates that $80,000 in funding will be available for AMH Grants during FY 2019-20. Depending on funding availability and upon consideration of the proposals, DEACS reserves the right to revise the amount spent for this grant cycle.

Other requirements such as submission of a written plan for the management of abandoned manufactured homes, reporting, implementation timeline, and submittal of budget tables are unchanged.  In addition, the AMH Grant Program has strict requirements mandating the removal and proper management of metal and materials banned from disposal in North Carolina including tires, mercury thermostats and fluorescent lights.

For more information, contact David Hance at (919) 707-8122.

Additional Information and Resources for AMH Grants

AMH Planning Grants:

Counties designated as Tier 1 or Tier 2 areas may request a Planning Grant of up to $2,500. These funds may be used by a Tier 1 or Tier 2 county to prepare a plan for the management of abandoned manufactured homes and to identify abandoned manufactured homes within their jurisdiction for potential abatement.

Examples of Applications with a Written Plan:

Grant Reimbursement Documents:

  • Reimbursement Invoice (PDF)(Word)
  • Project Summary - PDF
  • Abandoned Manufactured Homes Grant Final Report Format and Guidelines – January 2018 (Word) (PDF)
  • Final Report Guidance (under construction)

Other Resources:

Below are some specific examples of program documents used by counties in implementing an AMH clean-up program.  Tailor these for your county as necessary.