Emergency/Disaster Household Hazardous Waste Guidance

As temporary disaster debris staging sites are suitable only for the collection of land clearing and demolition debris following a disaster or emergency, household hazardous waste (HHW) must be separated from other debris and transported to a HHW collection center.  

Many counties in NC have permanent HHW collection centers. Click here to find one near you.  

If a local government would like to establish a temporary HHW collection center in their area following an emergency or disaster, guidance for establishing temporary collection centers can be found on the Solid Waste Section HHW webpage.

List of Temporary Household Hazardous Waste Events

You may also contact Bill Patrakis with the Solid Waste Section at (919) 707-8290 or william.patrakis@ncdenr.gov for further guidance regarding household hazardous waste collection following a disaster or emergency.