Donate to Hurricane Recovery

Permitting Applications

NPDES Individual Permit Applications

Renewing your existing permit?
Federal (40 CFR 122) and state (15A NCAC 2H .0105(3)) regulations require that permit renewal application be submitted at least 180 days prior to expiration of the current permit.

To find out when your permit renewal application is due, check the following table: Click Here

List of Individual Permits: Click Here

Applying for a NEW permit, or expansion?
All new and expanding facilities MUST submit an Engineering Alternatives Analysis (EAA) with any required application(s).

Major Municipal: Any permit with a permitted flow > 1.0 MGD, a Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW) that administers a POTW pretreatment program, or an industrial waste treatment works that has a high toxic pollutant potential (see EPA Ratings Sheet).

Major Non-Municipal: Any permit with a score of 80 or higher on the EPA Ratings Sheet.


 * Please send 1 original and 2 copies.  Checks may be made payable to NC DENR. *

Municipal POTW and 100% Domestic Facilities - Application Check List

Industrial, Manufacturing & Commercial Facilities

If you are not sure whether your facility is a major or minor, please contact the NPDES Unit.


  • EPA Form 1: Major Industrial Facilities, plus 1 of the following:

EPA Form 2C: Existing facilities that discharge process wastewater
- OR -
EPA Form 2E: Existing facilities that do not discharge process wastewater
- OR -
EPA Form 2D: New facilities

  • EPA Form 2F: Major Industrial facilities with stormwater outfalls MUST fill this out for each stormwater-out outall covered by NPDES permit



Note: Refer to general permits for petroleum based groundwater remediation.