NPDES Industrial Program
The NPDES (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) Industrial Stormwater Program is federally mandated and covers a wide variety of industrial actvities under one of the following types of permits:
- Individual Industrial Permits apply to industrial activities that are not eligible for any of the general permits. (approx. 160 facilities in NC)
- General Industrial Permits apply to numerous broad categories of industrial activities with potential stormwater discharges. (approx. 3,200 facilities in NC)
- No Exposure Certifications apply to industrial activites that do not expose industrial materials or activities to precipitation, and provide secondary containment on the site. (approx. 880 facilities in NC)
See the Schedule for Renewing NPDES SW Permits for information on which year your permit will be renewed.
Access permit records in our Laserfiche Stormwater Program Repository. If you have questions about the industrial stormwater permitting program, please contact Stormwater staff.
Sign up for the NPDES Industrial Stormwater Email List
How to Submit Paper DMRs Before eDMR is Implemented
The Stormwater Program is planning for NPDES Stormwater Industrial permitted facilities to use electronic Discharge Monitoring Reports (eDMR) by January 1, 2022. Until your facility begins using eDMR, follow this NEW procedure for submitting eDMRs:
- Download the applicable DMR from the NPDES Stormwater Industrial Individual website or the NPDES Stormwater General Permit website.
- Complete, sign, scan and upload the DMR to the NPDES Stormwater Permit Discharge Monitoring Report (DMR) Upload form within 30 days of receiving sampling results.
- Mail the original, signed hard copy of the DMR to the appropriate DEMLR Regional Office.
- Do not send DMRs to Central Files in Raleigh! (This is a change from the previous procedure.)
- Note that DMR forms have recently been updated.
How to Pay an Annual Permit Fee
Who Can Sign NPDES Industrial Permit Documents?
40 CFR 122.22 sets forth who can sign NPDES applications and reports. For corporations, permit documents must be signed by responsible corporate officer, and authorized manager, or a delegated individual. An authorized person may delegate an individual using the Stormwater Permit Delegation of Signature Authority (DOSA) Form.
After completing the Stormwater Permit DOSA Form, scan and upload it to the Permit Contact Update Request Form. Mail the original signed hard copy to the Stormwater Program, Attn: Stormwater Program Administrative Specialist, 1612 MSC, Raleigh, NC 276990-1612.
How to Update Permit Data
Enter your stormwater permit number into the Stormwater Permit Summary Report and you will see a form that includes the address of the facility, contact information for the permit, and the regulated stormwater outfall(s) for the facility.
To update the:
- Facility/Company name or ownership, complete the Name/Ownership Change Form.
- Legally responsible person (Owner Affiliation), complete the Permit Contact Update Request Form.
- Delegation of Signature Authority (DOSA), complete the Permit Contact Update Request Form.
- Billing contact, complete the Permit Contact Update Request Form.
- Permit contact, complete the Permit Contact Update Request Form.
- Facility contact, complete the Permit Contact Update Request Form.
- Facility address only, email Bethany Georgoulias.
- Stormwater outfall information, email Bethany Georgoulias.
Request Representative Outfall Status
Complete the Representative Outfall Status (ROS) Request Form. Mail one hard copy of the form and supporting documents directly to the appropriate Regional Office (see form). In addition, e-mail the form and supporting documents to Bethany Georgoulias. There is no fee for a representative outfall status request.
Renew an Existing Industrial Permit
For Individual permits, complete the application forms in the Renew an Existing Individual Permit section of this website, no later than 180 days prior to expiration of your current permit. Mail one hard copy of the form and supporting documents to Brianna Young, 1612 MSC, Raleigh, NC 27699-1612. In addition, e-mail the form and supporting documents to Brianna Young. You may pay on the e-payment site.
For General permits, your certificate of coverage (COC) will be renewed automatically as long as annual fees are up to date. There is no need to submit a new Notice of Intent (NOI) application. You may pay on the e-payment site.
Rescind an Existing Industrial Permit
Complete the Rescission Request Form and mail one hard copy of the form to Joyce Sanford, 1612 MSC, Raleigh, NC 27699-1612. In addition, e-mail the form to Joyce Sanford. There is no fee for industrial permit rescissions. Please note that it can take 1-2 months to process the request because we cannot rescind the permit until DEQ staff conduct a site visit.
If you would like to request dormant status for your permit (a temporary suspension of industrial activities and monitoring requirements), contact Bethany Georgoulias.